Monday, March 20, 2006

Managing Morning Sickness

I've figured out that if I eat every half hour or so, I can keep the nausea at bay. That's great until about 8pm, when I hit a wall and simply cannot put another morsel of food in my mouth. At that point, I'm eating antacids so that I don't have acid reflux when I go to bed. And I went to bed at about that time this weekend to escape the need to keep eating.

It's a vicious cycle.

Also, I'm over Saltines, although they are next to my bed, in the car, and next to the recliner as a back up puke avoidance system. Right now, my snacks of choice are:

1. Sausage biscuits - Jimmy Dean/Sara Lee have a pack of these that heat well in the microwave in about 25-30 seconds.

2. Hot dogs - terribly not healthy, but they provide the protein I need when I've overloaded on too many carbohydrates.

3. Cheerios - I'll eat the occasional bowl of Cheerios with Lactaid milk since I'm a little lactose intolerant.

4. Haagen Daas Peach sorbet - this stuff is delicious and provides a cool alternative to the water I seem to be limited to drinking (I have no interest in any other beverages). And the first ingredient is pureed peaches, so while it does have a lot of sugar, I'm still getting some fruit. This is the only sweet thing I can tolerate, too. I'm totally off the sweets.

5. Cheese - when I'm needing protein, I eat cheese, which also provides some calcium. Yesterday, sliced white cheddar with tortilla chips was a great snack.

6. My mother's scones - I asked her yesterday if she would hook me up with a constant supply of her scones. They aren't too sweet like some scones can be and they are the perfect 2-bite snack food.

Today I added Ritz Sticks, only because the box was in the cabinet and they're a new food item. I'm getting tired of eating the same stuff all day long.

At least it's keeping the puking away.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheez-Its are a good choice, or so I have heard.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if this works, but one of my friends swears by it. The first 4 months of her pregnancy, she walked around with a ziploc bag of sliced lemon in her purse. Whenever she felt the urge to throw-up, she would smell the lemon and immediately made her feel better.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Jay, thanks. I'll try some cheez-its.

Jennifer, I just read about lemon helping with morning sickness yesterday. I plan to drink a little lemonade today to see if it helps.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Princess Jami said...

This really is kind of like a living science experiment, isn't it? Neato. :-)

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one suffering. When I fail at keeping the nausea at bay, I think is this every going to stop. I'll definetly try the lemons in the bag. The hardest part for me is constantly eating. I feel like I have the stomach flu, and do not want to eat anything.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home