Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The First Prenatal Appointment

I went in for my first prenatal visit with my new OB/GYN. She is very nice and spent quite a long time with me, explaining just about everything and offering free samples of vitamins. She ran through the extra testing they do with mothers over 35 years of age, which I expected and pleasantly learned are mostly optional. So I may opt out of the amnio and CVS tests since they are the more intrusive to the baby.

She did an ultrasound (sorry, no pictures) and I saw the blob of baby. It's about the size of a peanut. She tried to find the heartbeat (visually) with no success, so she set up an appointment for me to go to a radiologist tomorrow morning for a better ultrasound done by experts on newer equipment. She didn't sound too concerned so I'm not too worried, although I feel almost normal today so I couldnt' help but think that maybe I feel almost normal because there isn't a heartbeat anymore. But I'm not really a worrier, so it was a fleeting thought and I'm sure everything is fine. I'll know for sure tomorrow.

Our official due date is November 8 - so my Dad will get a third grandchild for his birthday on the 7th.

My next appointment is April 26 - at the 12 week point.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How exciting! The first look at Baby!

Beau's great-nephew's birthday is in November, too! (He will be two on Nov 6.)

You are wise to opt out of the amnio test. The blood test they do for Down Syndrome has an extremely high rate (up to 20% in some studies) for error and the amnio can cause miscarriage.

The test for Beau's Neice's 2nd child came back positive for Down Syndrome (although highly unlikely as she was in her early 20's but this test is required to be taken). She was going to have an amnio done but, thank God, there was a mess-up with her insurance so she had to reschedule and she ultimately opted out (which is another story for another time). When I began looking up information (LOVE the internet) I was shocked and appalled to learn how inaccurate the tests are since they have to be done in such a specific time of the pregnancy and, as a result, how many people chose to have abortions, and statistically, thousands of healthy babies have been aborted because of the false positives.

Needless to say, Beau's Great-niece is a totally healthy, brilliant whippersnapper!

And I will get off my soapbox now ...

And, besides, ALL children are a blessing from God.

Ok, now I'm off ... ;-)

FKA Beau's Sis

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first ultrasound was at 8 weeks also and I did not see a heart beat.

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Why, in my day..." we didn't have these tests. We just tried not to worry and the vast majority of us ended up with nothing to have worried about. Geez. We're female. Isn't worrying a right? With advanced technology comes changed worries. Bad dreams too. Comes with the territory. I had my critters in the '70's. Neither the doc nor the mother expected to hear a heartbeat before the stethescope could pick it up, when -- I don't remember. Go ahead and indulge in your natural Tiger Mother worries but stop before stress sets in. Not good for the baby. Trust God and statistics.

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had an ultrasound at 10 weeks with Jesse and they couldn't hear a heartbeat, but he was big and strong. kbf

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That must be one of the smallest peanuts. I can't believe he or she is that big already. You are only a few weeks pregnant. You are going to have a 12 pound baby. LOL

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home